Monday, September 5, 2011

Other Worlds

Other Worlds is an exhibition of 3 large paintings of a moon, whale, and face. Together they form a painting installation meant to entirely cover one wall at The Robert Mclaughlin Gallery in Oshawa. There are images of the work in progress in the posts that follow. Some time ago I did a exhibition of large folded paper paintings at MOCCA and since then I've wanted to revisit that format. I've always been interested in murals and how technique and style must adapt to the greater size. When presented with this opportunity to work large I began to think how I might adapt my methods to this new scale.
These  new paintings are some of the results of that investigation.
The show is curated by Corinna Ghaznavi and Peter Dykhuis who will write the catalog essay when that comes out sometime next year. It has been really great to work with them, they have been totally supportive and have really given me confidence to try out something new. The show will travel to Halifax at the Dalhousie Art Gallery in March 2012 and to BC at the Kelowna Art Gallery  in 2013.  I'll be doing a group of new paintings in the same technique for the Halifax show as the walls at DAG are not as large as those in Oshawa or Kelowna.

Heres the invite card with all the info.

Oshawa is about an hour's drive from Toronto. For a GO train schedule, please see below. Of course it would be great to see you, but if you cant make it no worries, I'll have finished documentation and installation shots up on the blog soon.

Douglas



A train leaves Union station and arrives Oshawa 1:08pm, another leaves Union at 1:23 and arrives Oshawa 2:08pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment